25th May – The Bad Tempered Ladybird🐞
Hello Senior Infants! I hope you have all been enjoying this wonderful weather we’ve been having! ☀😎
This week’s theme is “The Bad Tempered Ladybird”. As you all know, it is a 4 day week leading in to our Bank Holiday weekend!
Here is your work to cover this coming week.
If you have collected your Spelling made fun workbooks, please continue on at your own pace.
/ou/ worksheets attached in email
/ou/ spotter story attached in email
Continue learning letter names
|Play Geraldine the Giraffe to learn the digraph /ou/
Complete the /ou/ activities;
· find and write words with the sound /ou/
· read the story ‘What a Foul’ and identify all of the /ou/ words.
Revise the letter names of the alphabet.
Find, long, down
Revision of tricky words (booklet attached in email)
|Read and write sentences with their new tricky words.
Revise tricky words in tricky word booklet.
Written using cursive handwriting.
Continue cursive handwriting practice;
|My News: focusing on Who? What? When? Where? and Why? Introduce feelings words in to their news; I was happy/glad/sad when….. etc.
Practice cursive handwriting- If you have collected your books from school; continue on to the next page; cover approximately 2-3 letters each week but continue to revise others. You can avail of our Go with the Flow online resource here http://data.cjfallon.ie/resources/gwtf-handwriting/index.html#!/book-sections/1/section-groups/1
The Bad Tempered Ladybird
Word search attached in email
Continue with extra reading material available online:
If you are unsure what reading level to start your child on, please email me.
Listen to the story ‘The Bad Tempered Ladybird’ by Eric Carle
· Recall and retell significant events and details from the story. Discuss the characters in order of their size.
· Complete word search
· Oxford Owl are offering free books online once you create an account https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/
· Nessy are also offering free access for 4 weeks. They have programmes to support reading and spelling and are recommended for children with reading difficulties. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for this.
· Another one to revise phonics through read along stories is starfall https://www.starfall.com/h/
Busy at Maths Home/School Links Book
|If you have collected the Busy at Maths home/ school links book, please feel free to work away at your child’s own pace. This book can also be accessed through cjfallon online.
Bad Tempered Ladybird Worksheet attached in email
|· Complete the pages on Time using Busy at Maths pages 84, 85, 114. Also available using cjfallon online.
· Maths challenge activity; The Bad Tempered Ladybird addition up to 20.
|Revise Éadaí (Clothes)
Na huimhreacha (numbers)
An Aimsir (weather)
Log in to edcolearning.ie
-Go to Bua na Cainte B, click on ‘Siopadóireacht’ and then click to page 47, 48 & 49
These pages can be printed by hitting Ctrl + p
|Continue to revise Éadaí, Dathanna and Aimsir using the links shared in previous blog posts.
Revise the numbers 0-10. A haon, a dó, a trí etc.
Page 47: Ainmnigh na hainmhithe; cangarú (Kangaroo), leon (lion), tíogar (tiger), nathair (snake). Repeat the sentences at the bottom of the page after each animal is coloured in.
Page 48: Bí ag comhaireamh na hainmhithe. (Count the animals)
Aon mhoncaí amháin
Page 49: Éist agus Dathaigh;
Dathaigh an eitleán gorm
Dathaigh an leoraí glas
Dathaigh an carr buí
Dathaigh an bus dearg
Cuir ceist: Cad a chonaic tú? (What did you see?)
Abair: Chonaic mé _____ (I saw…..)
What you will need:
Toilet paper roll, red paint, black paper/card (optional), red card or paper (optional), googly eyes (optional), paintbrush, glue, scissors, black felt tip, Ladybird template (attached in email)
|Create your very own 3D Ladybird using the craft activity sheet.
If you do not have access to the suggested material, please feel free to complete your own ladybird using whatever materials you do have in your home.
|Environmental Awareness and Care/ Caring for my locality
– Minibeast sorting activity (attached in email)
– Discuss what could be done to improve and care for the environment, then make a list.
|· Listen to the story ‘The Bad Tempered Ladybird’
· Children will identify and discuss the different places the characters live
· Minibeasts – sort the characters by attributes (type of animal/minibeast, how many legs, size etc.)
· identify, discuss and implement simple strategies for improving and caring for the environment : things I can do, things we can do
· list ways of respecting and taking care of the environment
Story sequence worksheets attached in email.
|· Discuss the chronology of events in the story of ‘The Bad Tempered Ladybird’
· Colour and display storyline pictures showing episode in sequence. Discuss beginning, middle and end.
|Lesson 3: Click on the link and using the pictures; ask your child to explore ways of travelling on their hands and feet.
Explore making shapes and levels with their body
Lesson 4: Click on the link and using the pictures; ask your child to make a travelling sequence. Curl and stretch. Rock and roll.
|Exploring and Investigating|
The Bad Tempered Ladybird
Challenge sheet attached in email
|· Complete home learning challenge sheet. Please email any photos you have taken from your minibeast hunt!|
As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on my email. I hope you all have a lovely extended Bank Holiday weekend!
Mrs. Teeling and Elsa Bear 😀🐶